Monday, January 21, 2013

My Favorite Martian

You've probably guessed that I love Star Trek aliens in all shapes great and small. So my choice for Geektwin's 'My Favorite Martian' bloghop is Thermian Mathesar!

Every Sci Fi fan who's been curious about the merits of Science Fiction will definitely get a good chuckle out of Galaxy Quest. Tim Allen stars as Captain Jason Nesmith, Commander of the starship NSEA Protector when the unthinkable happens. The plug is pulled on Nesmith's "Galaxy Quest" show tossing our 'defenders of the galaxy' out in the cold. Its funny watching Nesmith grabbing all the media attention while his washed up crew do all the legwork attending sci-fi conventions etc where loyal fans still adore them eighteen years later. Surely he reminds you of someone?

Galaxy Quest is fun to watch and I can think of no better homage to Star Trek's classic series or TNG! The actors fall from stardom have them squabbling over the smallest of stuff and ready to chuck in the towel. The fun starts when Nesmith is approached by a race of aliens proclaiming to be "Thermians" led by their completely clueless chief "Mathesar" which is why hes so totally cool. To cut a long story short these guys have completely confused ideas about Galaxy Quest's TV show."

The thing is see Mathesar's race actually believes in the crew of the NSEA Protector and has built them a REAL STARSHIP that can fly in outerspace!  He calls Galaxy Quest's adventures: The real world "historical documents" giving Nesmiths crew the chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of gullible fans who've been worshipping them for years. Most fans and geeks would probably flip out at the prospect of being aboard a real spaceship surrounded by aliens but not Tech Sgt. Chen played by Tony Shalhoub.

Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me that the generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just FYI.

The viewscreen goes black. The ship ROARS forward.

ALEXANDER Yells: We've got to stop!


Things only get better when the evil villain SARRIS (whos one mean, ugly, reptile) shows up and to blazes with the rest of the Galaxy. Check out the creepy smiling aliens with those sharp teeth! So who's my favorite martian? Thermian Mathesar! Logic out the airlock, thats my story and I'm sticking to my guns.

Who's your favorite alien?

Does Capt Jason Nesmith remind you of anyone?



By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

Never give up, never surrender to the Martians, Trekkers!

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is an awesome movie! Captured the whole Trek craze and feel perfectly. Good choice!

Liesel K. Hill said...

I remember Galaxy Quest! I saw it when it came out, but I don't think I really appreciated it. I'd like to watch it again, now. :D Great pick. My Martian Post. Happy Monday!

Jeff Hargett said...

Without a doubt the greatest parody of anything ever. Each time I watch this movie I like it better than the time before.

Mark Means said...

'Waves hello from the blog hop'

Love this movie and great choice! It always brings back memories of the many Star Trek conventions I've gone to when I was younger :)

Jeremy [Retro] said...

one of the best, but my wife thought that all characters came in their costumes.. she was so disappointed meeting Mr. Data.

M Pax said...

Galaxy Quest remains one of my all-time favorite movies. Fantastic choice! Never give up, never surrender!

Unknown said...

LOVE this movie! Great choice. Now I have to go watch it!

Maurice Mitchell said...

A surprising, but brilliant choice! He was a lot of fun. Glad you jumped on the blog hop!

Cynthia said...

Saying hello here, and a new follower too. You have a fun looking blog. I haven't seen the movie, but thanks for sharing about it!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I loved 'Galaxy Quest.' Aside from being a great send-up of Trek and Trek fandom, it's a really great movie in its own right with a well written story, lots of laughs, and a feel-good ending. How can you go wrong with that?

Tony Laplume said...

Galaxy Quest is such a genius movie, and what makes it so genius is that it goes far beyond being a simple spoof.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Sarris looks super-cool and creepy. I'm loving your choice...

nutschell said...

Never watched Galaxy Quest. Will have to check it out :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Tyrean Martinson said...

Galaxy Quest is a great movie on it's own, and then it's a clever spoof in addition to that and I love it. Great choice!!!

Julie Baswell said...

I still haven't watched that one. With so many mentions of it I guess I need to. Great post. Julie @ http://icreatepurtythangs.blogspot.com.

Ryan Carpentier said...

Galaxy Quest rocks! Now there's a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel for...

Adorably Dead said...

Awesome, I was wondering when the Thermians were going to show up on someone's blog. I love them, they are sweetpea's personified. I think my favorite of the Thermians is the one who is obsessed with Dr.Lazarus.

SpacerGuy said...

Sarris is the ultimate 'in your face' alien except I had an emotional, unsophisticated, primitive human impulse and chose Mathesar! While logic is the beginning of wisdom, emotions are king.

welshslider said...

I need to watch Galaxy Quest from the beginning. Its one of those films that I've alway caught half way through when its on TV.

Rob
The Bearded Trio

Elise Fallson said...

I have never watched Galaxy Quest. I need to rectify this immediately!

Edward Ott said...

That movie was awesome.

Trisha said...

Great movie :) I love a movie that keeps me sniggering!

SpacerGuy said...

Galaxy Quest is cool.

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...